Popular Posts

Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Online Therapy

When working with troubled youth all around the country, for a residential treatment center near Park City, Utah, I had the privilege to do therapy via phone and the internet with their parents. My clients were also a part of this collateral or family therapy.  At times I struggled with the lack of non-verbal communication and data.  I felt it hard to be process oriented at first.  I quickly adapted and was able to execute therapy in a similar way as traditional face to face. In the end, I found the results to be similar and satisfactory.

I currently offer online therapy via mytherapynet.com. http://securetherapy.com/johnellis/
I also use a Cognitive Behavioral Therapy model at online-therapy.com.
http://www.online-therapy.com/therapist/john-ellis
I am also on google helpouts. https://helpouts.google.com/

All three are secure platforms. The CBT platform allows me to utilize worksheets, assessments and other tools to directly treat specific mental health related symptoms and disorders.  I respond back to what you have accomplished through the secure platform as well as am available to chat, email and have a video session through the platform.

My therapy net and help-outs is for a more traditional talk therapy approach.

I view online therapy not as a replacement therapy but an adjunct or an alternative to face to face therapy. I have a few clients utilizing the CBT model as part of their maintenance therapy as they want the changes to stick.  

Some individuals may have disabilities or extenuating circumstances that inhibit or make difficult a more traditional form of therapy. Some people live in more remote settings.  Whatever the need or circumstance an individual may feel it more convenient and effective to do therapy from the comfort of there own home.

No comments:

Post a Comment